Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Fasting

What does Fasting means to you? How much knowledge do you now about it? Or do you even fast? that's just few of the questions that bugs in my mind about fasting.
And I didn't stop without finding answers to my question, though I wouldn't say I have enough knowledge about it now either. But I am sure with what's the truly meaning of it.

Before -talking about years- I thought it's not something to be bother, I mean like we weren't really told to do it, and those who only do it are taking everything seriously and just wanted to get thin or whatever..

but i was wrong with those opinions, partly wrong cause those people whom I know that did it before really are taking it seriously... or should i say taking God seriously, but they weren't doing it to loose wait nor to get people's attention

What does fasting really mean?
The answer he gave me to that question made me shrink in everything, I looked a passage in the bible that talks about Fasting and it took me to

Matthew 6:16-18 "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you they have recieved tehir reward full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your father, who is unseen, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." it was Jesus speaking about it. And I gotta be honest that didn't make my curiousity even clearer, it even adds more question so I checked the next verse that talks about it, its

Mark 2:18 "Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were Fasting, Some People came and asked Jesus"
and where on the same page, I didn't get any of it, No answer at all.. just the word fasting, Then I didn't know how I ended up in

Deutoronomy 30:20 " and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and holf fast to Him, for the Lord is your life and He will give you many years in the land he swore to give your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob"
and that seems to be interesting so I look at the previous verses in that same Chapter and it talks about The offer of life or death, it seems very interesting, and now this morning I continue reading the book deutoronomy and on chapter 8 where moses was telling the Israelites to not forget about the amazing things have shown to them when they were in the dessert and teach them to their sons and the sons of their sons after it so they will not fall on serving false gods, and its really amazing how He gave me answers to my questions.

Deut 8:3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither your father had known, to teach you that man does not leave on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord"..( wow! wow! wow! I just thank the Lord for His word, that all the answers on my curiosity about Him will be seen in His word, and He will truly give it when you ask Him :D ) and on that scripture different passages comes in my mind, and I know it was not me alone who remember it, and I came back to book of Matthew 4 where Jesus was tempted to the highest level!

Matthew 4
The Temptation of Jesus
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."

Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:
" 'He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."

Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test."

Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."


Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

And from that all my curiosity about fasting seems all to be clear, All the explanations my eldest sister told me and the leaders in our church made all sense, You don't eat when you fast cause you're denying your body's desire, and the story of Israelites are perfect example on how God taught them about fasting, that we don't rely strength on food but on Him, ofcourse we will hear our tummy grumble, and I guess that's the biggest temptaion on fasting and when you didn't fall for that,spiritually you'll be strengthen.. And to make all it all short "God wanted us to rely on him on everything and not on our Body's desire"... I forgot where you could find these scripture in the bible, it says "The spirit is willing but the body is weak", I don't know now how to explain verse by verse, but I guess I don't have to.. I'll just leave you with that verse. He sends his son Jesus to set a perfect example to everyone, I'm not saying if you don't fast then you're not relying on Him fully, I myself haven't tried fasting, but I know I'll be, what I'm trying to say is.. fasting is important thing to do for christians who already have the word, and spreading it.

No comments: