In a world where celebrities and sports stars brag about their sexual conquests, is there any reason why we should wait until marriage to have sex?
No Sex was God's idea first. He created it!
The Bible tells the story of god creating the world, the plants, the animals, and the first man. The Bible says that God saw that it was not good for Adam to be alone, So God created Eve, Adam's wife. God's command to them was to be fruitful and multiply- to join together in sexual union. Sex is God's invention. It was designed for having children, of course. But it is also intended to be a pleasurable act that unites a husband and a wife together in love.
If God invented sex, then it might be worthwhile to know how he wants us to use it. The Bible gives us a lot of reasons to wait until marriage for sex. Here are few.
1) Sex is a beautiful gift from God and is received for marriage. Marriage is a public commitment between a man and a woman, and sex belong to marriage only ( Hebrews 13:4 Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.)
2) Having sex with a person creates a kind of "oneness" that God intended for marriage only ( 1 Corinthians 6:16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh."). This oneness is not just physical; it is emotional and spiritual, too. God created sensuality in a loving marriage to build intimacy and trust, and to bond the couple.
3) The Bible says we should not be sexually immoral (Act 15:20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality,from things strangled, and from blood.) The word used in the Bible is "fornicate" which means sexual intercourse other than between a husband and his wife.
4) To be admired and respected by others, If someone refuses to stay in your life because you've chosen to stay pure, that person never loved you. Someone like that should be out of your life ( 1 Peter 3:16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.)
5) To have a clean conscience and no worries. If you have sex for marriage, you don't need to orry about sexually transmitted diseases or pregnancy. You also won't need to worry about the embarrassment or seeing former sexual partners. ( Proverbs 6:32, 33 But a man who commits adultery lacks judgment; whoever does so destroys himself.Blows and disgrace are his lot, and his shame will never be wiped away;)
6) To test the commitment of the other person. Some people promise marriage just to get sex, and then they back out of their commitment. Many people have sex with people they would never marry ( Proverbs 5:3-12 For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil;but in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword.Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave.She gives her paths are crooked, but she knows it not.Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say.Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house,lest you give your best strength to others and your years to one who is cruel,lest strangers feast on your wealth and your toil enrich another man's house.At the end of your life you will groan, when your flesh and body are spent.You will say, "How I hated discipline! How my heart spurned correction!)
7) To grow as a Christian and be holy. You cannot grow as a Christian if you are having a sex outside of marriage (1 Thessalonians 4:13 Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope.). Beware of people who say religious words, but pressure you to have sex ( Proverbs 7:5-15)
8) To be like Jesus. Jesus was the most loving and healthy person in history. He was tempted in every way we are, but did not sin ( Hebrews 4:15) Jesus loved all kinds of people and had a reputation for being kind to sexually immoral people. He forgave them and said they should stop sinning (Luke 7:48 Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven.") (John 8:11 "No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin.")
9) To have a good life. If we love and obey God, he will give us peace of mind ( Romans 8:6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;) and He will work out the circumstances in our lives, even our troubles, for good (Psalm 37:4-9, Romans 8:28)
10) The Bible says we should run away from sexually immoral situations (1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.)
11) To keep a good reputation. Having sex outside of marriage hurts your good name ( Ephesians 5:3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.) No one wants to be considered "cheap" or the kind of person who takes advantage of others.
12) To be clearheaded when you are making important decisions. When you are deciding who to date or marry, you need to have a clear mind ( Proverbs 5:22-23, 6:25-26). Sexual activity can distort your thinking.